YES YOU ARE BEING RUDE AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD
(nah youre fine, here’s the settings of the setup im using right now, but be warned cuz the blending can get really finicky at times
The dentist is very scary and I hate the smell of the place, it makes me feel nauseous for some reason.
It’s almost 2am, I have a dentist appointment in a little over 8 hours, and I’m just here laying on my bed thinking about the love of my life who lives several miles away from me.
I have to go to a dentist appointment in several hours but I really don’t want to gooo…
I might go buy manga on the way home if I do attend the appointment.
Because I’ve been getting asks about it ALL DAY and I love some of you but you are really clogging up my messages between friends and I just want to have a clean askbox right now that isn’t about “shota.” And I’m going to be very brief because it isn’t difficult to comprehend. At first, I really put thought into it and thought ‘Well I rarely use the word shota, if I have to change my face tag, then so be it.” But the thing is, shotacon and shota are not the same thing??
i was gonna let this slide but these definitions are incorrect and this post is gaining reblogs so i figure i might as well say something. i know you meant well, op, but your definitions are actually why people believe the word is bad: they think the word originally referred to porn and that shotacon refers exclusively to porn. i defined the words here using the japanese fandom dictionary, but in summary:
- "shota" was originally a completely sfw word; it came from the name of a fictional character (called shotaro) who inspired onee-chan feelings in the readers
- later on, any underage male character was referred to as “shota,” in honor of shotaro-kun
- porn for 2D young male characters didn’t come until after all this
- "shota" does however also refer to a character archetype/a young 2D male character, as you said
- "shotacon" does not actually refer to nsfw unless you are making it specifically clear you are referring to 2D porn
- on is own, “shotacon” just refers to a person (generally a teenager/young adult, and generally female) who likes young boys, generally 2D. it’s normal slang. it’s short for “shota complex.”
- which means even the term “shotacon” is not a taboo word unless you’re making it clear you’re referring to nsfw content
- "shota" can be used as shorthand for “shotacon” but not regularly, and, again, you have to be making it clear you’re referring to porn otherwise it does not mean “shotacon”
in short: the meaning of the word “shota” never changed; it was a perfectly acceptable word to begin with, and it’s still in use in japanese media because its original meaning remains intact (that said, as far as i know you never use when referring to real boys). it just happens to have negative associations because there’s a lot of nsfw of it and people misunderstand the differing meanings and contexts of each term.
the reason i correct you is because your post is essentially like saying assuming touhou was originally a porn game just because there’s a lot of nsfw, which is, of course, untrue. however, you’re correct in saying people target the word “shota” unfairly but for whatever reason skip over the word “loli.” maybe because “shota” and “shotacon” are things made to appeal to women? very suspicious.
make your tumblr the best space for you
you are not on this site to please others or cater to things that upset you
surround yourself only with the things you want to see
your dash should lift your spirits, make you think and smile
if it doesn’t, don’t feel bad about unfollowing or doing whatever you need to do that is right for you
first and foremost, ensure that tumblr is a safe, fun space for you